Translate

Monday, December 11, 2006

Flit - To perform this Friday in Kyiv

Flit [pronounced fleet] will be performing at the opening of a new Pyvna Bochka located at 3 Bohdana Khmelnytskoho, in the center of Kyiv.

The four guys who make up the group hail from Ivano-Frankivsk and have developed a pretty good following from the University crowd. Their first album Svit takyj blends sounds of Offspring with some traditional Ukrainian melos. I know these guys personally and seen them perform a number of times and they are quite the crowd pleaser. Last summer a friend of mine's son was in Kyiv, I dragged him out to the show with one of the other Canadian students here at the time. He really enjoyed the show, and if I'm not mistaken he has an autographed poster hanging up somewhere at home.

I recall attending their re-release of their first album under the UkrMusic label, and when asked what kind of music they play the answer was ecological rock. In fact many of their songs have an ecological twist to them, but their anthem has become the song Izhachok, which means hedgehog. The song is about a little hedgehog who meets at terrible fate on when he is hit by a car, but none the less the song is pretty positive as part of the refrain goes:

Ale vin pertvorytsja v zirku
I lapkamy ves' svit obiyme
Ne chipayte yoho ne treba
Khaj vin syly u sobi znajde.

Their second album Zanykaj released last spring is somewhat different in style, and includes a couple of songs that I really enjoy, in particular Moja planeta, Ne my, and Kolyskova. Most songs on the album also includes a comical introduction. I think I will definitely be hitting the show come this Friday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment